The Dr. Horacio E. Oduber Hospital.
It is a 320-bed Catholic hospital on the island of Aruba, founded in 1976 by the non-profit foundation “Stichting Ziekenverpleging Aruba”. It is the only hospital on the island of approximately 120,000 inhabitants.
Dr. Horacio E. Oduber Hospital
Flag of Aruba Aruba
Flag of the Netherlands Netherlands
12 ° 32′31 ″ N 70 ° 03′28 ″ W / 12.542026, -70.057697
The hospital is named after Aruba’s first native physician, who he used to treat patients at his home (the so-called Quinta del Carmen) before Aruba’s first hospital, San Pedro de Verona, was founded by Catholic nuns in 1920.
The San Pedro Hospital in Verona was converted into a nursing home in 1977 when the Dr. Horacio Oduber hospital began to receive its first patients.
Between 1938 and 1985 the Lago oil refinery in San Nicolás owned a second hospital, which mainly served its employees, their families, and citizens with private insurance.
It was not until 1985 that the Lago Hospital was closed, so that Dr. Horacio E. Oduber became the only hospital on the island. HOH is a general hospital and a level III trauma center.